0376 : Hawfinch Hunt (17/2/17)

There are places that need to be visited every year to get a particular bird on the year-list (hopefully). Usually, there are a few different locations possible, so that if you don't manage to see the bird at one, you might still get it elsewhere. That isn't normally the case with Hawfinches though. Scone Palace is usually the one place in Scotland where these birds can be found, but it is not often an easy task. Despite their size they do like to loiter at the tops of tall trees and don't make too much noise. You have to work to see Hawfinches. With Nat having managed to see an unusual wintering group of the birds in Speyside very early in the year, I had the option of going on the ADBC outing to try for them, but decided against it. With nothing in particular to try for on Friday, I decided to attempt to get to Scone Palace under my own steam and then try to find the birds on my own.

Hawfinch
I had a delivery to wait in for that was coming between 0700 and 1000. Thankfully it arrived around 0820, allowing me time to get organised and out for around 0930. I had decided to try for the X7 coach to Perth, so headed for the bus station. Herring Gulls, a Jackdaw and a Blackbird were all on the roofs opposite as I left. A Carrion Crow overflew Dens Road and a Feral Pigeon was spotted near Princes Street. The usual Robin was singing near the bus station. I caught the coach with a few minutes to spare. Starling and Woodpigeon were seen as the bus headed first to Royal Victoria Hospital and then Ninewells.

There wasn't much to be seen between Dundee and Perth with a few perched roadside Buzzards and Mute Swans in a field being the sum total before more swans were seen below the Friarton Bridge. Arriving at Scone Palace I discovered that the entrance I'd intended using was marked 'no pedestrians', so I, along with 2 English lady tourists, wandered round to the side gate and entered there. Mallards were on the small pool just inside the gate. I scanned the trees along the driveway adding Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Blue Tit. A pair of Buzzards circled up in the sunshine. The gate up towards the palace was marked 'No unauthorised access', but with the option of a detour of around a mile or more to the main gate and in or the short walk uphill to where we wanted to be, the decision was made to 'sneak in'. The ladies went first as I scanned the trees and eventually having only had a glimpse of a possible Hawfinch in flight, I followed.

The track led to the children's play area and out into the main grounds. I bumped into another birder who had had no luck with seeing the Hawfinches. I wandered on towards the end of the driveway near the northeast corner of the grounds where I've had luck in the past. Great Tit and Treecreeper were added but no Hawfinches. I had a wander along the edge of the grassy area towards the driveway I'd entered by. A Yellowhammer was singing in the trees, and a small flock of Siskins overflew. As I turned to head back I spotted a couple of distant Buzzards. Beyond those I spotted another bird flapping along purposefully. It turned above the trees on the hill to the east and circled round. I took some photos which showed it to be a displaying male Sparrowhawk.

I was joined by a birder from Skipton in Yorkshire who was visiting the area, and we exchanged sightings. He'd had no luck with the Hawfinches either. We wandered back to try the corner area again. A distant Stock Dove flying past was noted. A Great Spotted Woodpecker put in an appearance before I found a single Hawfinch high in one of the trees. It flew to a different tree and we then saw a few more small groups fly in to join it. Unfortunately, the birds were rather restless and moved from tree to tree almost as soon as we found a potential viewing point. Eventually we had good views of a few of the birds including a single bird that appeared to be pulling at bark from the tree it was perched on. I even managed a 25 second video clip of this particular bird.

A Goldcrest flitted around in a tree in front of us and there were more Blue Tits working their way through the trees. A Dunnock showed briefly and a Wren was heard but not seen. I decided that I would head for the bus, so decided to head out the main gate, just in case there was something to add along that route. A Pied Wagtail flew past. I'd heard it earlier but hadn't managed to see it. There were a couple of Mistle Thrushes high in a tree in a field of sheep along the driveway, and a pair of Redwings near the gate. I didn't have too long to wait for the bus and headed back into Perth.

Some confusion with the travelineScotland app led to me eventually deciding to try for the quicker way back of catching the train back to Dundee (I wasn't in the mood of being stuck on the bus for an hour or so). A Rook was seen as I headed for the station. Unfortunately there was a queue at the ticket desk and the lady behind the counter refused to allow me to get a ticket (the lady customer at the counter offering to let me in as I only had 2 minutes before the train was due to leave). I decided  to get a ticket on the train. This proved easier said than done with the conductor not coming back to me after I asked for a ticket (he said he would be back with the ticket machine but never returned). There were a few birds added from the bus, Black Headed Gulls on the Tay, a few Teal in a small pool in a field and a small party of Pink Footed Geese near Invergowrie.

A successful trip but the travel hassles reminded me why I don't tend to travel too far on public transport if I have the choice. Only 32 species seen but the target bird (year-tick in bold) made it 2 additions to the year-list in 3 days.

Robin

Treecreeper

Sparrowhawk

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Hawfinch

Mistle Thrush

Redwing
Species seen - Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Hawfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan, Pied Wagtail, Pink footed Goose, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Siskin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Teal, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.